EOPS and Financial Aid provide services to disadvantaged students

Riley Collins

By Julie Yoo, Michael Toyos, Trevor Klein, and Riley Collins

Long Beach City College students file out the door of the admissions office to apply for financial aid programs that will help them fulfill their college dreams.

With the fall semester approaching on Aug. 2, LBCC junior Steve Navarro stood outside the Admissions office at LBCC in a navy-blue shirt promoting the Extended Opportunity Programs and Services, which has been helping community college students pay for books and other college necessities not included within tuition.

“We provide books, cultural excursions, academic services as well as additional educational support,” Navarro said. “We are a state-funded program that makes student educational plans with ASSIST.org to get the classes they need.”

Navarro, outreach coordinator of the EOPS  program, stood by a table outside Building A offering LBCC students with red wristbands, brochures, and pencils.

Throughout California, there are 113 EOPS programs funded in 72 districts, Long Beach City College being one.

Navarro explained a requirement to quality for EOPS is an income less than $16,655. The EOPS brochure added some of the other qualifications is one must be a California resident enrolled in at least 12 units and completion of an assessment test. Navarro added about 65-75 percent of the student body is linked to this program.

The California Community Colleges Chancellor’s office recently reported that the EOPS has a whopping 78,978 participants in 113 schools.

“(Immigrant) students are able to get access to grants as well as (whatever else) they qualify for,” Navarro said.

• Steve Navarro (junior), Outreach Coordinator of the EOPS (Extended Opportunities Programs and Services) program, informs students about the organization in front of the LBCC (Long Beach City College) Scholarship Outreach Building. EOPS is an assistance program that benefits students who are socially, economically, or educationally incapable of supporting themselves. For more than 40 years, around 250,000 disadvantaged students throughout California have been offered financial and educational opportunities through this program. “We are a state funded program that makes student educational plans [with] assistance.org to get the classes they need [for their future] career,” Outreach Coordinator of the EOPS program Steve Navarro said. Additionally, Navarro, currently a junior enrolled in LBCC, mentions that around 75%-80% of the student body is linked to this program.
    Steve Navarro (junior), Outreach Coordinator of the EOPS (Extended Opportunities Programs and Services) program, informs students about the organization in front of the LBCC Scholarship Outreach Building. (Photo by Julie Yoo)
  • The EOPS provides LBCC students with red wristbands, brochures, and pencils in front of the Scholarship Outreach Building. (Photo by Julie Yoo)
    EOPS is an assistance program that benefits students who are socially, economically, or educationally incapable of supporting themselves. For more than 40 years, around 250,000 disadvantaged students throughout California have been offered financial and educational opportunities through this program. (Photo by Julie Yoo)

Since many undocumented students are protected under the DREAM Act, which is a national program approved in 2001 under the Bush administration that provides a route to citizenship for illegal immigrants, they can also achieve their college goals with EOPS.

“(At LBCC), I would say at least 75 percent to 85 percent of students are linked to our program in some way,” Navarro said.

In order to qualify for the program students must have already submitted a financial aid application, then they can easily apply for EOPS.

“I know a good amount of students utilize their benefits,” LBCC student Erin Asis, 21, said while relaxing in the Nordic Lounge.

Asis is an editor for the school newspaper The Viking and is not on the EOPS program herself. She stressed its importance to the community at LBCC, as it helps students, who would struggle to pay for books not only survive but thrive in college.

“It improves a lot of people’ college experience,” Navarro said.